subtitle

~growing a home...nurturing a soul~

Monday, November 1, 2010

Olivia's Butterfly Wall Mural

When we moved into our new "old" home, our children's bedrooms were first on the "To-Do" list.  I was very pleased with their transformations as Caiden's room had originally been wallpapered in a leopard  print and Olivia's had been used as a walk in closet.  Upon completion the bedrooms were bright, comfy, and playful, but best of all the kids loved them!  Although completely reimagined and now functional for our family, I always knew that the finishing touches were missing, but could be addressed later.  So this past weekend, I took advantage of the kid's Grammy being down for a visit, and dealt with a blank wall in Olivia's room.  Her favorite colour is purple and after discussing with her what she would like to see on that wall we decided upon a butterfly mural.

I checked the internet for some inspirational images and began drawing and cutting.  I knew that I wanted it to appear whimsical and to have the images be different from one another. 


Then realizing I didn't have any purple paint, and wanting to keep the budget low, I mean free, I created a soft purple with some leftover paint.  Next I taped the "stencils" randomly on the walls.


Then I painted, pulled the stencils away and repositioned them, and painted again until an overall sweeping butterfly's in flight effect was achieved. 

 
We are all very pleased with the end result, especially our daughter Olivia, who asks everyone who enters...see my purple butterflys?  What do you think?  Have you done something similar or different for one of your children's rooms? 

No comments:

Post a Comment